- The number of motorcyclists to the general public and to politicians.
- That motorcyclists are from all occupations and all walks of life.
- That motorcyclists can reduce traffic and parking congestion in large cities.
- That motorcycles are for transportation as well as recreation.
- That motorcycling is a social good.
I am always trying to bring things closer to home, into the backyard, figure out what makes something relevant in my own life. I'm not a crusader or activist beyond the belief that change starts at home. I'll change first rather than tell you to do it.
Thinking about why I ride to work I've come up with a few ideas and benefits.
- The ride smoothes the entry and exit of the workday.
- Riding to work is a fun, mini adventure every time.
- What parking problem?
- Who cares what a gallon of gas costs?
- Paying attention to the weather and riding in it makes me feel connected to the world.
- I get to see how miserable people look in their vehicles.
- I can stand up and stretch at traffic lights.
- I like to imagine what people think about me smiling all the time.
Anyways, if you have a scooter or motorcycle give yourself the gift of a ride to work tomorrow. Just for one day you can deal with wardrobe or image problems. You can take the chance that someone may scratch your ride or the weather might change on you. Just for one day you can show the people on the road that there are other ways to transport ourselves around, have fun, and alleviate some of the problems generated by a lot of four wheeled vehicles.
Ride to Work!