Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ride to Work Day

Tomorrow is the third Wednesday of July and Ride to Work Day. I visited the RidetoWork.Org Web site to make sure my idea of what the day represented and the official plan were close. In a nutshell the Ride to Work people suggest the day will demonstrate:

  • The number of motorcyclists to the general public and to politicians.
  • That motorcyclists are from all occupations and all walks of life.
  • That motorcyclists can reduce traffic and parking congestion in large cities.
  • That motorcycles are for transportation as well as recreation.
  • That motorcycling is a social good.

I am always trying to bring things closer to home, into the backyard, figure out what makes something relevant in my own life. I'm not a crusader or activist beyond the belief that change starts at home. I'll change first rather than tell you to do it.

Thinking about why I ride to work I've come up with a few ideas and benefits.

  • The ride smoothes the entry and exit of the workday.
  • Riding to work is a fun, mini adventure every time.
  • What parking problem?
  • Who cares what a gallon of gas costs?
  • Paying attention to the weather and riding in it makes me feel connected to the world.
  • I get to see how miserable people look in their vehicles.
  • I can stand up and stretch at traffic lights.
  • I like to imagine what people think about me smiling all the time.

Anyways, if you have a scooter or motorcycle give yourself the gift of a ride to work tomorrow. Just for one day you can deal with wardrobe or image problems. You can take the chance that someone may scratch your ride or the weather might change on you. Just for one day you can show the people on the road that there are other ways to transport ourselves around, have fun, and alleviate some of the problems generated by a lot of four wheeled vehicles.

Ride to Work!

7 comments:

Kano said...

Thanks for the reminder Steve. I plan on riding Wed. rain or shine. Looks like rain at this point.

hrw115 said...

Today was a yucky day to ride to work. I saw a guy on a motorcycle on my way in to work all dressed in black. You could barely see him amongst the pouring rain and fog. I think he had a death wish.

Susan said...

I ride to work every day and always see 7-10 motorcycles on my 10 mile commute. This morning we had a thunderstorm go through with some rain. I saw no other motorcycles/scooters! Last year we had 110 or so at our company's Ride to Work Day picnic they sponsor. We'll see how it goes today.

How's the shoulder?

CodyandMichelle said...

Yeah Steve, how are you feeling?
My commute to work is 55 miles one way. Of course today it would be 900 miles ;)
I've definitely used my scoot more and more for everyday things. It is becoming my 2nd vehicle.

Eldercattus said...

The trouble is--being a DINK on FIRE (Dual Income, No Kids, Financially Independent, Retired Early), I don't work. Back in the day, though, I rode to work on my old Vespa.

Steve Williams said...

kano: Hope the ride went well today!

hrw115: It was a great day to ride. Rain is good for the soul and fine if you approach things intelligently.

susan: I don't think I have ever seen 110 motorcycles in one place. Rain really cuts down the number of bikes on the road.

cody: Shoulder is in good shape. No damage beyond a severe strain. Saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and got the all clear sign!

eldercattus: DINK. I always smile when I see that. What kind of Vespa did you have?

motojones said...

being on three wheels sure has its benefits...finding a parking space around my work place is a mission impossible :-) Just found sth. on digg which could convert some four-wheelers - and open up space around those car crowded parking spaces...its not as exciting to ride compared to my Yamaha R1, I guess...but it looks like the sidecar of the batmobile ;-)
http://digg.com/design/City_Slickers_watch_out_Your_lifestyle_just_turned_into_a_vehicle